Ads 468x60px

advertise here!

Monday, January 9, 2012

Leadership key to Duffy



Ben Duffy of the P.E.I. Rocket battles for the puck with Saint John Sea Dogs defenceman Simon Despres in a Quebec Major Junior A Hockey game last season. Rocket won the game 5-2.
It’s no secret that the young P.E.I. Rocket team has had its share of struggles this year. Most recently they lost 5-1 at home to the Gatineau Olympiques.
Ben Duffy understands that it is the growing pains that a young team will go through.
“We haven’t got as many wins so far as we wanted but we are a young team and we are going to have ups and downs throughout the long season,” said Duffy.
It’s well known that the key building block to a successful team is the leadership of the older players, especially in a league where an average career is four seasons.
Duffy hopes to use his talents on the ice to lead the Rocket.
“I think I have gotten off to a good start but I can bring more to the team and i hope to step up even more and lead this team. I’m an offensive guy, it’s my job to lead this team offensively.”
With Christmas being a couple months away, also means that the QMJHL trading period is a couple months away.
Duffy, being a player that a lot of teams would love to get, hasn’t thought about the concept of being traded.
“I realize my name will probably be out there during the trade period. I love playing here in P.E.I. and I haven’t thought much about the trade period yet. If it happens, it happens.